Fawkner Leisure Centre has set a blueprint for cost-effective carbon reduction investments across Moreland City Council's facilities and has since been recognised as a leader in sustainability.
Moreland City Council has been working closely towards achieving its Carbon Management Strategy, which provides the direction and pathway to meet its commitment of carbon neutrality for Council’s corporate operations by 2012. The Strategy analyses Council’s corporate carbon footprint, presents energy costs and forecasts and determines the most cost effective approach to achieve our zero net corporate emissions target by 2012.
"Reaching carbon-neutrality isn’t a final destination. We will continue to improve the energy efficiency of our leisure centres, libraries and Brunswick Town Hall, which will help us reduce the cost burden of operations for our ratepayers,” Moreland City Council’s Mayor Oscar Yildiz said of the strategy.
Fawkner Leisure Centre has successfully completed a significant energy retrofit which has resulted in reduction of electricity, water and gas consumption. These upgrades and improvements include:
- improvement of pool heating and ventilation
- upgrade to centre lighting systems
- installation of pool lighting with indication technology
- installation of solar tube daylight system over indoor pool
- installation of thermal pool cover system made of custom engineered, high insulation material
- upgrade to perimeter security lighting system with a combination of LED & induction fluorescent technology
- installation of 1900L commercial hot water system with high efficiency condensing flu boilers
- introduction of speed controlled filtration pumps with night set back function
- upgrade to air conditioning in the gym, group fitness and office space with optimisation settings and time delay functions
- replacement of the pool hall roofing using insulating ‘coolmax’ heat reflecting colorbond
- sealed draught holes within the facility
- installation of low flow shower urinal and basin timers
- installation of 2 x 2,400L rain water tanks used for the change room toilets and to irrigate lawns
- upgraded outdoor pool boiler and pool heating systems.
It is estimated that 325 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions per year will be reduced with these improvements at Fawkner Leisure Centre. Already a 6.1 tonne reduction has been observed since implementation began in 2010.
|Automated air handling system